Sugar Baby Doll

Photo by Arnaldo James
'Sugar Baby Doll'



In 2009 I performed versions of the Traditional Mas Character: The Baby Doll. I performed it first at Victoria Square P.O.S. and the second time at U.W.I. St. Augustine Campus for Taking Back the Night.

The character is dressed like a doll in frills and other decorations. In her arms she carries a doll which symbolizes a baby born out of marriage. The masquerader stops men in the audience accusing them of being the baby's father; and confronting them with their responsibility she asks, 'Where de Money?'

Performers can take as much license as they want with the script what remains constant is the crowd interaction; accusing males of being the irresponsible father of their child. In my piece I became a pregnant school girl who was in a relationship with a 'Sugar Daddy' but he left 'me' once I revealed I was pregnant for him.

Photos by Arnaldo James



'Pretending to be Happy!'

The Second time I played Baby Doll it was at U.W.I.'s Taking Back the Night. There was a march, vigil and rally. I did a performance called 'Pretending to be Happy!' . It was motivated by the recent abuses (many that ended in death) of women and children that were reported in the media.



Video of 'Pretending to be Happy!'





More photos from both events can be seen at http://www.flickr.com/photos/m_isava/sets/72157624578237550/